I've been learning a lot about myself lately. I've known I've always had trouble while in school but up til last night I didn't realize just how far back it went. My mom bless her heart save every report card and progress report that I got in school. Recently she was cleaning out her file cabinet and decided it was time to pass those on to me. So I spent last night my night off from putting the kids to bed to learn a little something about myself.
My shyness was there from the start that I always knew but I found out that I was below average on a lot of my subject starting as young as 3rd grade. I was reading how I would never finish my school work or at least never on time and that I was easily distracted. This was the comments for the majority of my elementary years. As I approached middle school the comments stopped but the grades showed nothing but C's and D's occasionally some B's and on a rare moment and A. Then all through high school the same grades continued as well as the shyness.
As I sit reading all of this my mind can't help but think WHY? why didn't anyone stop and think and wonder why I was doing so badly. When i approach my mom I get you always did your work and never complained about anything you were a model child I didn't feel I had to worry about you. I recall getting mad at her one time when I was younger cause she never yelled or got mad at me for getting a bad grade which I felt C's and D's were. She felt it was not bad cause I always did my best. Now as I sit back as the adult I am today and wonder if my getting mad at her all those years ago was my weird way of telling her that I was having trouble and wanting her help figure out why only she never did.
So all of this newfound info makes my curiosity of whether I too like my kids have ADHD even that much stronger. I've been wondering since I found out about my son last November and now with my oldest daughter being told she has the ADD part of it and since her and I seem so identical with our learning troubles. I really do wonder about myself now. My goal is to go and get it looked into cause then at least I'd know if that is why I struggled for so long in school and now even in adulthood.
I was so bothered by what I had learned last night that I was literally on the verge of tears the only thing that cheered me up was when my husband brought my son in and had him read a book to me that he has never read before in his little life. That just totally made my day.
I guess I'm what people refer to as the child who fell below the radar so to speak.
SUMMER
8 years ago

1 comment:
{{{{{Tina}}}}} It's hard to think about unpleasant times, and to wonder if we're completely responsible for any issues or shortcomings of our children. Just remember . . . you're doing the best you can with those kids, and while they may face hardships here and there, EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this earth has their hardships and hurdles in life, and no one is pointing fingers at you. Look at those kids - they're beautiful and much loved - and you ARE on top of things with them. If there are hurdles, you face them and deal with them. MANY people out there, simply don't. Those kids are lucky to have you!!
Post a Comment